Updated: Jul 29
ELECTRICITY SAVING MEASURES
It is becoming essential to save power in South Africa due to problems with ESKOM our power utility and the rising costs of energy and last but not least global warming.
Below we have listed 50 simple ways to reduce energy costs.
DAMAGE TO APPLIANCES
Do to rolling blackouts, the electricity surge when the power is put on can seriously damage all your appliances see TIPS
1. Set the thermostat of your home GEYZER between 55 and 60 degrees. Insulation of piping is of vital importance as well. FIBREGLASS and newspaper can be used to insulate all piping that surrounds the geyser.
2. Solar power can help immensely with the reduction of power reduction of the geyser. Solar power can reduce your electricity costs by 50% to 60%.
1. This is pretty obvious but simply put off the lights when you are not using them turn this into a habit.
2. Rather use bulbs with a higher wattage but also use less of them 100 watt bulbs and 60 watt bulbs make the same amount of light!
3. It helps to get your electrician to add dimming capabilities and switches to your lights.
4. Use fluorescent bulbs instead of regular bulbs where you can.
5. Your external lamps should be switched out for low energy lamps.
1. Your safest option here is to use oil heaters but infrared heaters will save the most energy.
2. Insulation, make sure you insulate your roof correctly.
3. Ensure that all heaters have thermostats
4. Electric blankets are also helpful but ensure that you do not forget to turn them off!
1. Before operating the dishwasher make sure it is completely full of dishes.
2. Rather dry the dishes then using the actual drying cycle
3. Rather connect dishwasher to cold water outlet instead of hot water outlet.
4. Make sure that the filters are all cleaned properly.
5. You get energy saving dishwashers be sure to speak to the salesman for one with short wash cycle.
6. Also do not store the dishwasher next to the refrigerator this causes the fridge to work harder when cooling down.
1. Find a tumble dryer with an automatic electronic humidity control, this will automatically shut off during the drying cycle when the clothes are dry thereby saving energy.
2. Temperature settings are important you can lower the amount of electricity used.
3. Make sure you have wrung out your clothes before putting them in the dryer saving the dryer work!
4. Whenever possible hang your clothes out on the line.
1. You want to use a front load as it is more economical on water and electricity
2. Use a lower temperature setting
3. Always make sure that you have a maximum load before washing your clothes.
4. Always choose quick wash or a quick cycle
5. Try use cold wash and cold washing detergents to lower the energy use factor.
1. If you are cooking thins like stews and curries that require lengthy time to cook try to use a pressure cooker.
2. Put big pots on big plates and small pots on small plates although basic a lot of people don’t do this
3. Try use pots that are balances on the bottom they should be flush and not wobble.
4. You can slow finish your meal ie turn them off before they are finished cooking so that the residual heat completes the cooking process.
5. Don’t open the oven
6. Preheating oven is not required
7. Metal pots and pans do not hold heat as well as glass and ceramic
8. Do not use self-cleaning.
1. Do not defrost using a microwave take your food out the night before and put it in the fridge.
2. Only use the microwave for small pieces of meat its still better to us the pressure cooker for larger pieces of meat.
1. Check your seals and do not open it, keep it closed as opening it causes the fridge to work harder.
2. You do not need to keep an empty fridge on when you are away from home for some time.
3. Do not put hot food in the fridge! Let it cool down
4. It is advised to defrost your fridge on a regular basis as ice build-up on the tubing will reduce its operating efficiency
1. SAME as fridges above, do not pack to maximum, leave about 10% space
1. Get the smallest appliances necessary
2. Try use hand held appliances instead of motorised when possible
3. Use a toaster for toast and do not do it on a stove.
4. Do not use more water in the kettle than you need
5. Boil water in kettle not on the stove
6. You do not need to iron if you take your clothes directly out of the tumble dryer and fold them.
7. Try not to paint your walls in a dark colour as this needs more light to light them us and thereby more energy will be required to light your home.